It’s early September now – where did the summer go? It’s been a very busy year here at BlackWater Concrete, and based on our feedback from our customers, it’s been just as busy a year for you as well. Hopefully, though, it’s not been too busy to enjoy your stamped concrete spaces! However, in typical fashion, some of us have put off doing our annual concrete maintenance and haven’t preserved those spaces by sealing or re-sealing our concrete. BlackWater recommends at least once-a-year maintenance activity and it’s certainly not too late to start your maintenance for this year.
Here are some basic concrete maintenance steps to complete:
- Rinse dirt/debris off stamped concrete surface with a garden hose or pressure washer.
- Apply a small amount of liquid dish soap to surface and scrub with a push broom.
- Rinse well with a garden hose or pressure washer until there is no sign of soapsuds.
- DRY surface completely by using a leaf blower or by waiting 24 hours to air dry. DO NOT APPLY SEALER TO A DAMP/WET SURFACE.
- Once the surface is completely dry, apply the sealer as follows:
- Apply sealer using a 1″ nap roller.
- Apply sealer in approximately 2′ x 4′ sections. This will ensure full coverage without missed spots.
- In general, sealer should be applied when air temperature is above 55 F. Best results will be obtained by applying sealer during cooler temperatures — fall and spring — or before 10 am and after 4 pm in summer months when surface temperatures should be under 90 F.
- A second coat can be applied after the first coat is tack free (not sticky to your touch).
- Your stamped concrete should be resealed every year (more or less depending on other variables such as weather, use/traffic, pets, etc.) to protect your investment. One 5-gallon pail of sealer will cover approximately 1,000 square feet.
Remember, the finish on your concrete is similar to the finish on your internal floors. It does need maintenance and care to keep it looking fresh and new. BlackWater recommends Con-crete Werks Sealer, a made-in-America product that we trust with any job (Check them out here). You can order the sealer directly from the site, or have us deliver the sealer to you at a nominal charge. If you want your concrete sealed by professionals, BlackWater offers a sealing service – call us at 540-535-7440 for a quote.
In the meantime, enjoy September and your stamped concrete! We’re looking forward to wonderful remainder of 2015!